New purpose for an abandoned psychiatric center.
- 120,000 square feet
- New Construction
- Queens, NY
- Asbestos removal
- Extensive exterior renovation
- Interior gutting and rebuild
- On existing campus
- 3 non-profits tenants with customized buildout
The old Creedmoor Psychiatric Center had been abandoned for over 25 years. Not only had nature staked a claim on the property with vegetation infiltrating the building, but most of the infrastructure had failed or needed to be replaced, in addition to a $2 million asbestos problem.
Aurora Contractors stepped in to renovate and rehabilitate Building #74 and convert it into a four-story office space for not-for-profit organizations and individual studio apartments for over 150 transitional patients.
A near total gutting and renovation strategy included:
- $2,000,000 of asbestos remediation completed in three-months that included abating wall plaster, pipe insulation, done within the strict state and federal standards
- Extensive exterior renovation involving nearly the entire structure’s envelope
- Salvaging original brick to reuse on porches, around windows, and other damaged areas
- Windows replaced with high efficiency units and new cast stone sills
- Removal of invasive vegetative growth on over 75% of the facade, and the third floor interior
- Power washing with a waste water recovery system
- Roof replacement with a 3-tab shingle roof system and 3-ply asphalt and cast stone copings
- The existing Yankee gutter system repaired to working standards
- Interior gutted and brought up to electric, mechanical, and plumbing code
- Coordination with the local NYS power plant and protection of adjoining buildings’ MEP systems
- New stairs and additional egress points added
- New kitchens and supporting services to provide tenants a local source of food