Flagship sports facility with pool and basketball court built under an active mall.
- 70,000 square feet / 50,000 square feet
- New Construction / Renovation
- Garden City / Massapequa, NY
- Excavation efforts 20’ below existing mall
- Subgrade structural support of two stories of mall tenants above
- Extensive mall modification
The first New York location of XSport Fitness Center in Garden City is located in the basement of the Roosevelt Field Mall - which had many construction and logistical issues.
Aurora Contractors was engaged as the Construction Manager for this state-of-the-art gym which includes a full-service child care center, lap pool, basketball court, spa, fitness studios and café. With its subterranean location and high-touch finishes, this was a challenging build that involved the following:
- High-end hand painted faux finishes, custom glass tile, imported slate and porcelain tile throughout the gym
- Complete demolition of the existing space in the basement of the Roosevelt Field Mall was required
- Structural columns supporting the mall above as well as the slab had to be removed
- Excavation 18 feet below grade to install new footing for wider column spacing that accommodated a full size basketball court and pool
- Extensive shoring to provide support for the existing mall’s foundation walls and structure
- All of the demo, excavation, and construction was performed while the mall was open
- Painstaking measures to reduce dust and other airborne debris
- Sustained contact with surrounding tenants to keep them informed of daily activity, and deliveries
Aurora also built the 2nd XSport Fitness on Long Island in the Sunrise Mall in Massapequa, NY. This was another challenging renovation in an existing mall that required major infrastructure remodeling to add a basketball court, pool, spa, and multilevel gym.